Begonia, Borage and Bugs

02 Jul

Mum’s chimneys are so full of flowers this year, just glorious.I’ll do a whole post devoted to chimneys soon while they are in glorious flower.  Mum would be proud, wonderful gardener that she was.   After she left teaching, of deaf babies, she refused to write ‘retired’ on any forms and wrote ‘Gardener ‘with pride.

The Borage in the edible trough is flowering. I love adding the flowers to salads and to gin, when we have any in!

I spotted a couple of interesting bugs today, firstly a Shield Bug (I think) on the raspberries. We have only ever seen green ones before but think we have identified this one as a Hairy Shield Bug. Can they choose their colour depending on where they are like some magical spiders?

Hairy Shield Bug

The next was a luminescent green creature which I think I have identified as a Thick Legged Flower Beetle, a fairly boring name for such a wonderfully coloured creature.

Thick Legged Flower Beetle.

Tags: ,

10 responses to “Begonia, Borage and Bugs

1. commonprose

July 12, 2020 at 4:56 pm

That borage is spectacularly beautiful. Wonder if I could grow it in Arizona.

August 6, 2020 at 1:42 pm

It self seeds here and is almost a weed! I have to pull out lots of little seedlings. They do like their water so might struggle in your ground but maybe they would be be happy in a pot. 🙂

• commonprose

August 7, 2020 at 3:52 pm

Turns out one of the plants I’ve been fighting in our yard is a borage, but not this beautiful one.

2. anotherday2paradise

July 3, 2020 at 9:35 pm

The thick legged one really should have a more elegant name. The colour is amazing. 😅

July 3, 2020 at 2:07 am

Not sure about the shield bug. It certainly looks like one.

4. Arkenaten

July 2, 2020 at 10:06 pm

Can’t help you on the bug questions, Sally. Maybe Pete Hillman would be better equipped to answer on British bugs?

5. PaperKutzs

July 2, 2020 at 6:33 pm

The flowers are awesome. Although I know bugs can be beneficial I’m a scaredy girl about bugs ekkkk!!!!

Liked by 2 people

July 2, 2020 at 6:37 pm

I’m hoping these are beneficial! I posted fabulous red ones last year only to be told that they were Lily Beetles and would destroy our lilies overnight if we didn’t deal with them! 🙂