Quick Mixed Fish Chowder
This is a Nigel Slater recipe which I have adapted. You can find the original here in his inimitable narrative style. This adaptation is in my style and is actually quite different!
- One medium new potato cut into small chunks
- one leek, sliced thinly and some very thin bits reserved for decorating at the end
- 25g salted butter and a little oil
- 250 mls milk and 250 mls water together
- ground black pepper ( I didn’t add any salt as the smoked fish can be quite salty itself)
- 320g Fish pie mix (salmon, smoked haddock and cod)
- 150g frozen petit pois
- 150g frozen corn kernels
- lots of chopped chives to decorate
- single cream if you wish
- Sweat the leeks in the butter/oil until just beginning to soften.
2. Add the milk and water mixture and bring to the boil.
3. Add the potato chunks and simmer until the potato is just beginning to soften. Add plenty of ground black pepper.
4. Add the fish chunks and the frozen peas and corn and bring back to the boil briefly.
5. Cook on a low heat for 5-10 minutes. Do not stir or you will break up the lovely chunks of fish.
6. Make sure that everything is cooked and that the chowder is piping hot and serve into large bowls.
7. Pour over a little single cream and sprinkle with the chopped chives and reserved very thin leeks.
8. Enjoy! It is delicious!
Thanks for the inspiration, Nigel Slater.