Plum, Almond and Chocolate Cake
Plum, Hazelnut and Chocolate cake (Recipe by Mary Cadogan)
This beautiful recipe comes from the BBC Good Food website. I have adapted it and my adaptations are in bold.
- 175g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 500g plums
- 175g light muscovado sugar (I used dark)
- 175g self-raising flour
- 175g ground hazelnuts (I used ground almonds)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g dark chocolate (70 per cent cocoa), chopped (and I added 100g of dark choc chips)
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts (I used almond slivers)
- 2 tbsp redcurrant, damson or plum jelly (I used Key Plum Jelly which I made last Autumn and which is quite tart so as to counter balance the sweetness of the cake)
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Butter and line the base of a round 20cm cake tin.
- Halve and stone 4 plums, set aside for later, then roughly chop the remaining plums.
- Put the sugar, butter and ground hazelnuts, into a large bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or electric hand mixer for 1-2 mins, until smooth and light.
- Add in the eggs, flour and baking powder and beat some more.
- Stir in the chopped plums and chocolate.
- Tip into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top.
- Arrange the halved plums over the top of the mixture, pressing them down lightly, then scatter over nuts.
- Bake for 40-50 mins until the top is golden and the cake feels firm to the touch. (It took 1 hour and 15 mins in my oven and many comments on the BBC website say the same. I covered the top with tin foil after the first 40 mins.)
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out, remove the paper and cool on a wire rack.
- Heat the jelly, then brush over the top of the cake before serving.
- Serve just warm with ice cream or cold as cake.
September 25, 2021 at 6:41 pm
Wow, that looks good! I will try it 😀
September 26, 2021 at 7:00 pm
I think you’ll find it’s worth it! 🙂