Feta and Courgette (Zucchini) Muffins
A friend was asking how to use up the courgettes going crazy in her allotment and I remembered this recipe. It can easily be doubled but this makes enough for two of us for a couple of days,if we can resist eating them all when warm…..
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1/2 teasp baking powder
- 1/4 teasp bicarbonate of soda
- small egg
- 75mls buttermilk (or milk plus a squeeze of lemon juice )
- 2 and 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil (I use rice bran oil)
- 70g of courgette, (grated and squeezed to remove moisture)
- 100g feta crumbled
- seasoning to taster – I use lots of garlic pepper. You could add herbs or cumin seeds. The feta is already salty.
How to do it
- Put the oven on at 200C
- Grate the 70g courgette on the fat grater (thin makes mush!) Then squeeze out moisture and put to one side.
- Crumble up the feta and put to one side
- Sieve together the dry ingredients
- Whisk up the egg, buttermilk and oil
- Mix the liquids quickly into the dry ingredients
- Add the feta and courgette and stir quickly. The mixture can be quite lumpy as always with muffins – be careful not to over mix.
- Put into muffin or bun cases
- Bake for 15-18 mins, a few minutes longer in in bigger cases.
- Fabulous eaten warm! They can be a bit crumbly and are totally scrumptious!