Strawberry Freezer Jam
We’ve been making this delicious jam for 30 years or more. My Mum used to make it and the recipe came from Certo. I make half for the two of us (and there is still enough to give some away) but for a family I’d make the lot. It is wonderful on scones with Cornish clotted cream. You can use the same recipe with Blackberries or Raspberries.
- 3lbs strawberries
- 4lbs caster sugar (granulated works too) ( These days I use only 3lbs sugar!)
- 1 bottle Certo (liquid pectin)
How to do it
- Crush the strawberries in a large bowl using a potato masher. Leave some lumpy bits.
- Pour in the sugar and stir well.
- Allow to stand in a warm place, stirring occasionally until the sugar has thoroughly dissolved.
- Add the Certo and stir for 2 minutes.
- Leave, covered for 24 hours.
- Ladle into small containers (I use plastic) , cover securely, label and put in the freezer. (Leave some expansion room)
The jam will keep for 6-8 months in the freezer (We have kept it for 18 months!) Keep it in the fridge after defrosting.