Humanist Ceremony, Daymer Bay and Happiness

06 Apr

What a beautiful day I have had! The sun shone and the air was warm and I went to stunning Daymer Bay to conduct a Humanist Ceremony of Re-affirming Wedding Vows on the cliffs and it was just brilliant! The lovely couple had been married for 6009 days today and it was his birthday.

As a surprise, she had organised friends and family to be on the cliffs and it was just the loveliest, happiest ceremony that brought tears to many an eye. It included a Hand-fasting which I have not done before and many readings done by family and friends, one of the most moving poems being written and read by their lovely daughter. Β It was so very special and I have permission to share these photos with you. Click on any photo for the caption and detail.

Tags: , ,

15 responses to “Humanist Ceremony, Daymer Bay and Happiness

1. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin

April 8, 2015 at 1:29 am

beautiful ceremony…
    I would love to have something similar for my Bobby and my 50th wedding anniversary…
    I may plan it…I have 4 more years!

April 8, 2015 at 6:34 am

Oh, I wish I could be there to do it for you! They really are very moving ceremonies. πŸ™‚

2. Judy @ newenglandgardenandthread

April 7, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Besides the beautiful people, flowers and scenery, I learned a couple of things in this post which is always a nice thing. I was not familiar with the terms, Humanist Ceremony or hand-fasting ribbons. Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate a special event.

April 7, 2015 at 5:56 pm

It is! It is a non-religious ceremony, written mostly by the couple themselves shaing their shared history and hope for the future with, always, the most moving and heartfelt personal vows. I always have to read the words many times before I conduct the Ceremony as I have to remain clear-eyed! They are truly beautiful events. πŸ™‚

3. Grannymar

April 7, 2015 at 6:14 am

Ireland legalized Pagan handfastings in 2010, but Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom, does not yet recognise Handfasting as legal. Such a pity as it seems like a wonderful and simple way for couples to declare commitment to one another.

April 7, 2015 at 8:47 am

Humanist weddings are legal in Scotland but not yet in England. It is a shame as these ceremonies are so very individual and life affirming. πŸ™‚

4. john zande

April 6, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Marvellous! And dogs, too! πŸ™‚

Did I miss something, Sally… You’re a celebrant now? That’s fantastic!

April 7, 2015 at 8:05 am

I’ve been a Celebrant since 2009! I do Weddings, Baby Namings and Affirmations but not Funerals. It’s a wonderful part-time job that I love! Each ceremony is so honest and personal and totally unique – just so life affirming. All the best to you πŸ™‚

• john zande

April 7, 2015 at 9:51 am

I certainly knew you were involved with Humanist ceremonies, just not the actual celebrant. I must have missed something 😦 But that’s truly wonderful. How does one even go about becoming a recognised celebrant? Is it something like becoming a Justice of the Peace?

April 7, 2015 at 12:14 pm

One can be trained in various ways. I was trained on the job with a Mentor, John Langford (on Fb) whom I shadowed and who then came to my first ceremonies to see that I was doing it all properly so I am certified by Cornwall Humanists. The other way is through the BHA which costs a fortune! The basic course was 200pounds followed by one each for weddings, namings and funerals each at 200. Then you have to pay the 10% of each fee to them too! Everyone for whom I have done a Ceremony has been delighted with my services! πŸ™‚

• john zande

April 7, 2015 at 12:18 pm

10%!?! My goodness, that sounds awfully like a church tithe πŸ™‚

April 7, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Doesn’t it? I just looked up the 2015 BHA fees for training – 1,920 pounds! At 275 per wedding, (take off 20% tax) it would take me more years than I have to earn back the fee!
            BHA actually recommend 350-1000 for a wedding ceremony so it wouldn’t take quite as long to recoup the fees! πŸ™‚

5. ladysighs

April 6, 2015 at 8:06 pm

What a beautiful day for a lovely ceremony.