Treen, Cistus and Unknown Flower

03 Jul

1   I’m still putting things back into the nearly renovated dining room and ‘discovered’ our treen all over again. This little round box, about 4″ diameter and 2″ tall, is a lovely example.

Treen box

Treen box

The two sections can be unscrewed, and there are three pieces inside.

Opened up

Opened up

When assembled, these make two beautiful candlesticks, about 3 1/4″ tall,  and a snuffer. We’ve never used them and I don’t think my Mum and Dad did either but we’ve had them as long as I can remember.

Candlesticks and snuffer

Candlesticks and snuffer

2   The White Cistus is covered in flowers that look like poached eggs and the bees are loving them. The whole bush appears to be buzzing.

Bee on White Cistus

Bee on White Cistus

3   This delightful mauve flower has seeded itself in my herb garden and serendipitously, its flowers co-ordinate with the Thyme, the Sage and the Chive flowers. The flowers appear from a furry little bud which uncurls to form several flower stems with lots of little flowers on each. Can anyone tell me what it is, please?

Unidentified flower, self seeded

Unidentified flower, self seeded

P.S.    A neat little thing I noticed as I posted – this is my 651st post and today my 651st follower joined me in my quest for the beautiful things in our lives.

Tags: , , , , , ,

11 responses to “Treen, Cistus and Unknown Flower

1. djdfr

July 5, 2013 at 8:04 am

It looks like phacélie (the French name), often used as a green manure. I had it self-sowing for awhile in my garden, but after several years, it no longer appears. I think it is beautiful. I have sometimes seen fields of it, it is mellifère, which means bees like it.

2. valeriedavies

July 5, 2013 at 7:25 am

Love the treen, gorgeous piece, and lovely that it’s been in your family for so long. Congratulations on your 651 post – what an achievement, and what amazing discipline to keep going in sickness and in health, babies births and all the rest.
    And such a wonderful accumulation of beautiful things…

3. theamateurcamera

July 3, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I love the treen, how wonderful those candlesticks with snuffer are! You’re right about the ‘poached eggishness’ of the flowers but they’re beautiful… afraid I haven’t a clue on the last one, interesting looking though! 🙂

4. Choc Chip Uru

July 3, 2013 at 9:58 pm

That box is so cool 😀
    Vintage but beautiful!

Cheers
    CCU

5. John Roberts

July 3, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Don’t want to scare you sally, but have you read ‘The Day Of The Triffids’?

July 3, 2013 at 8:50 pm

It does have the same curliness that is getting longer and longer but I’m not easily scared! 🙂

6. Colline

July 3, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Interesting to see a treen – never seen one before.

7. john zande

July 3, 2013 at 6:44 pm

That’s a gorgeous light purple.

(Looks like we lost Meme, again)

July 3, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Yes, I’ve been visiting and asking how she is but no reply. I do hope she’s okay. Isn’t it interesting how fond you can become of someone you have never actually met? 🙂