Seed Head, Veg Trug and Knitting

17 Jun

After the mizzle this morning the Clematis seed heads were beautifully covered in little droplets.

Isn’t this just exquisite?

Our all-edibles trug is looking luscious! Various Lettuces, Thyme, Gives, Borage, Nasturtiums and tiny Violas, almost in flower, all ready for salads in the weeks to come.

I love the ferns underneath too, makes this a piece of art!

I have been knitting again – squares this time for the WildWorks’ production, “UnEarth” which will be in the Lost Gardens of Heligan in July.  I have taken a couple of paragraphs from their blog that explain both the story and the reason for the knitting.  See below the photo.

My first 4 squares, handed over today

“The show, which will be at The Lost Gardens of Heligan from 3rd to 22nd July, is a story of war, love, loss and hope. It explores what happens when war is over. It’s been co-commissioned by Heligan and 14-18 NOW, the UK’s arts programme for the First World War centenary. 100: UnEarth forms part of 14-18 NOW’s 2018 season marking 100 years since the Armistice.

During WWI people back home were asked to do many things, work in factories, work the land and knit. They were asked to knit items to send to the troops overseas. Women were also tasked with working in munition factories. We’ve combined the knitting and the munition historical references and will be creating a knitted torpedo – an artwork that will feature as a part of the show.”

Afterwards, the squares will be restitched into blankets.

Tags: , , ,

11 responses to “Seed Head, Veg Trug and Knitting

1. Val

June 18, 2018 at 9:23 pm

Violas are edible? I didn’t know that. Your trug is looking really good.

June 19, 2018 at 7:19 am

Violas are very pretty in salads and particularly lovely decorating a chocolate cake! 🙂

2. Judy @ NewEnglandGardenAndThread

June 18, 2018 at 11:08 am

Love that beautiful seed head and your true. We tried a lettuce bed like that once, but it dried out quickly and required intensive watering numerous times per day. But, this looks like you have that piece figured out and the ferns on the lower level are wonderful.

Liked by 2 people

3. saymber

June 18, 2018 at 2:58 am

Is that a corner to corner pattern? Love the color! Sounds like an interesting show to be part of.

Liked by 2 people

June 17, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Your salad fixings look great!

June 17, 2018 at 6:58 pm

That veg trug is brilliant, Something to remember, I love growing my own salad or carrots and have no space. I got a pot with potatoes. I also love that fern underneath!

Liked by 2 people

June 17, 2018 at 6:08 pm

Your vegtrug is lovely – what size do you have? I am thinking of getting one for my patio to grow salad and herbs in.

Liked by 2 people

June 17, 2018 at 6:21 pm

I love it! We have carrots in the middle where it is deep and salads and herbs etc in the different levels. It’s 2’6″ x 6′ and any smaller would just be frustrating unless you just don’t have room. We bought ours at Wyevale at Lelant. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

• Heyjude

June 17, 2018 at 10:44 pm

Thanks for that. Growing at waist height seems a very good idea to me.

Liked by 2 people

June 18, 2018 at 6:39 am

It certainly makes it much easier! It would be good to do all the veg gardening at this height but it would be too expensive. 🙂

Liked by 2 people