Snow, Mince Pies and Hedwig

11 Dec

It snowed throughout our journey from Norfolk to London which made driving somewhat tricky but the fields all around were beautiful in their white covering.

When the LiveWires came home from school they wanted, after playing in the snowy slush, to make mince pies.

Hedwig is taking pride of place on the Christmas Tree!

24 Comments

Posted by on December 11, 2017 in baking, Beauty, Christmas, Grandchildren

Tags: ,

24 responses to “Snow, Mince Pies and Hedwig

1. Arkenaten

December 12, 2017 at 11:37 am

Our lot began baking mince pies two days ago – for ourselves and orders for customers!
    One of my favorite xmas treats.
    Spoke to my folks yesterday. Snow up in Chester. Dad had just taken the dog for a walk and said he’d had to watch his step. We talked about how often I remembered it snowing in Chester and me watching the Liverpool/Everton game on Sunday in driving snow! He also told me it never snowed once during his youth down in Newquay.

• john zande

December 12, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Email me your meat pie recipe, pleeease.

• Arkenaten

December 12, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Sheesh … the cheek of the man … expecting me to give away trade secrets!
        πŸ˜‰
        I’ll have a word with the important members of the team…. Hang Fire…

• john zande

December 12, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Do yours taste at all like Austalian meat pies? Sally’s looks the part.

• Arkenaten

December 12, 2017 at 6:00 pm

It’s fruit mince pies. I haven’t a clue what Australian meat pies are , John, but ours’ look similar to Sally’s.
            There are photos on the website.
            Once Ems sends me the recipe I’ll forward it to you, no probs.

• john zande

December 12, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Fruit!?! You heathen, you can’t have fruit in a meat pie. OH, I forgot, you’re vegetarian. My apologies. I’m almost there, but I still do have a soft spot for pies.

• Arkenaten

December 12, 2017 at 6:27 pm

We are talking about Mince Pies, yes? For Christmas?
            Or am I way off the mark here?

December 12, 2017 at 6:49 pm

I love the conversation you and John have been having while I’ve been on LiveWire duty!
            The Mince pies we made yesterday were for Christmas and are made with a wonderful fruity mixture – raisins and apples, spices and suet, brandy and orange juice. In the old days they were made with meat and fruit but now they are just fruit.
            Sorry to disappoint you, John! πŸŽ„πŸŽ„

• Arkenaten

December 12, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Thank you, Sally! Mince Pies. FRUIT mince pies. Same as ours.
            You can’t trust these blinking Aussies!
            You’d think he had some culture living in Brazil.
            But it seems there’s a Crocodile Dundee Gene in all of them!

• john zande

December 12, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Yes, mince… ground up meat.

• Arkenaten

December 12, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Go throw a boomerang!

Liked by 2 people

December 12, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Meat mince pies are much bigger and very tasty but not for Christmas! πŸ™‚

• john zande

December 12, 2017 at 9:02 pm

So, yours aren’t mince?

December 12, 2017 at 9:14 pm

No! They are full of dried fruits and are delicious! πŸ™‚

• john zande

December 12, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Yeah, but… πŸ˜‰

December 12, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Sorry to let you down, mine are the best Mincemeat pies ever! Wish I could send you some. πŸ™‚

• john zande

December 12, 2017 at 9:02 pm

They look terrific. Is the recipe a secret?

December 12, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Not a bit of it, happy to share and will do so very soon – but they are not meaty! They are fruity! πŸ™‚

• john zande

December 12, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Yeah, I saw your comment to Ark. Bugger. They looked so dangerously good! I’m sure they are good, but… πŸ™‚

December 12, 2017 at 8:33 pm

I remember snow only once in my childhood in Cornwall, a rare event indeed. I could hardly believe the snow when I moved to South Yorkshire to become a teacher!
      That was my first batch of mince pies made with the LiveWires in London. When we return home at the weekend I shall start stocking up the freezer. Wish I could send some John’s way, sure he would love them too! πŸ™‚

2. saymber

December 12, 2017 at 11:32 am

Your post put a smile on my face this morning Sally – thank you! Your Livewires are blessed to have you.

December 11, 2017 at 11:56 pm

How fun! Hope the pies didn’t contain 4 and 20 blackbirds . . . or crows! πŸ˜€

4. john zande

December 11, 2017 at 9:49 pm

You have a recipe for those mince pies? Seriously, I’ve tried to replicate the Australian number, but have had no joy. Yours, however, have that sheen the innards should have. What’s the trick? And the pastry? Help me Sally! πŸ™‚

5. Voices of Ancestors

December 11, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Love mince pies! Assume it’s the same/similar recipe my grandmother made here in Maine when I was growing up. I made a BIG mince pie not long ago. My favorite. Love your small pies and the decorations!