Another Trio

22 Nov

Ever since I was about 11,  when my Mum bought me a beautiful box from an auction, I have collected other pretty boxes and although I have never been a smoker, I was fascinated when I first found these, one in a junk shop and the others at an Antiques fair. I love the mechanism and the way they deliver a cigarette to you. I just wish I could show you the levers and the craft work inside that makes them work.

A trio of cigarette boxes

A trio of cigarette boxes

The one where a Sailor delivers the cigarette

The one where a Sailor delivers the cigarette

Lovely inlay outside and painting inside

Lovely inlay outside and painting inside this roll top case

A metal one with two compartments and pretty enamelling on the outside

A metal one with two compartments and pretty enamelling on the outside

For others in this week’s Photo Challenge – Trio, please click here.

Tags: , ,

7 responses to “Another Trio

1. Julie

November 23, 2015 at 5:05 am

These are beautiful, unique boxes! Thank you for sharing!

November 23, 2015 at 10:48 am

Thank you for calling in and taking the time to comment. I just wish I could demonstrate the action too! 🙂

2. calvin

November 23, 2015 at 3:07 am

These are new to me. Have only seen simple tins and boxes , nothing mechanical. And they made me think, each era has it’s items that it make and sell. Now a days it is digital devices and digital air. These are boxes from a forgotten time. These days hands no longer held in high regard. it is all IT. And high tech will never show patina nor the honey glow of wood and varnish mixed with drops laboured sweat.

3. john zande

November 22, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Great finds!

4. galeweithers

November 22, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Beautiful and unusual ‘trio’; great take on the challenge 🙂

5. Grannymar

November 22, 2015 at 7:51 pm

What interesting little boxes. I love the inlay on them.