Baby Snail, Print Tray and Singing

02 Nov

After I had finished washing the spinach, kindly given to us by Sue-next-door from her allotment, and was preparing to cook it, I noticed a tiny snail in the kitchen sink. He was moving at a fair old rate but I caught him on camera before he was taken outside! His shell was no bigger than my little fingernail.

Tiny snail

My beautiful Mum used to collect thimbles and many of her collection of 500 were housed in old print trays. For some reason I cannot quite fathom, I have never wanted to have these on display and they have languished, wrapped up and away, since my Dad died in 2004, fifteen years after my Mum. However, I have been collecting little treasures for many years with a mind to displaying them in said print trays. Yesterday I  lifted them all down and what a wave of nostalgia!  The lovely Mr S has put the print tray on the wall for me and I will show you the contents and give you the histories of the little things bit by bit.

Old print tray

Old print tray

I cannot tell you often enough how good it is to sing in harmony with others! Tonight, with Claire and The Ingleheart Singers we were learning a new carol, Jesus Christ the Apple Tree,  and it is fabulous – six harmonies on some verses! This link will give you a taste but I hope to be able to give you us singing it in due course.

Tags: , ,

9 responses to “Baby Snail, Print Tray and Singing

November 3, 2015 at 2:59 am

Have fun filling your print trays (and keeping them dusted once filled).

November 3, 2015 at 7:27 am

I’m not much of a duster! Dust might become part of the collection! 🙂

2. calvin

November 3, 2015 at 2:02 am

Snell the Snail. What he lacks in size, looks to have an abundance of character. Funky and hip, with a wee bit of nerdy-nest. I guess I thought he was deserving a name.

A handsome place for your shtufffs.

Clicking the link, now………….

November 3, 2015 at 7:23 am

He certainly had character! Seemed to be questioning where he was. I put some bits of spinach out with him to help him adjust from allotment to sink to our garden! 🙂

3. grandfathersky

November 2, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Always liked old print trays. We actually used them setting mechanical type in shop class back around 1967? They are a nice way to display and sort collections.

November 3, 2015 at 7:26 am

My Uncle was a print setter too so they have a kind of family history too. Shop class? 🙂

• grandfathersky

November 3, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Shop class was learning the “trades” like mechanical drawing, metal work, as everything else was read, writing, arithmetic…