Turkey Broth, Chocolate Truffles and Dylan Thomas

02 Jan

1    Working to banish the bronchitis blues, I served up homemade Turkey broth for lunch.

2    Delicious chocolate truffles, a birthday present from L also help!

Delicious truffles

Delicious truffles

3    Listening to Richard Burton reading the opening to Dylan Thomas’ masterpiece ‘Under Milk Wood’ is another tonic for the soul.If you want a real treat, just listen to this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuPO2Kvqlms

“To begin at the beginning:
It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobblestreets silent and the hunched, courters’-and-rabbits’ wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea. The houses are blind as moles (though moles see fine tonight in the snouting, velvet dingles) or blind as Captain Cat there in the muffled middle by the pump and the town clock, the shops in mourning, the Welfare Hall in widows’ weeds. And all the people of the lulled and dumbfound town are sleeping now.”

'Under Milk Wood' by Dylan Thomas

‘Under Milk Wood’ by Dylan Thomas

and if I have caught your interest, you may like this link too.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “Turkey Broth, Chocolate Truffles and Dylan Thomas

1. mybeautfulthings

January 4, 2013 at 1:05 pm

From Lorraine Cran
    Still love this after being introduced to it by you. Bought my own copy to read again and also read ‘Adventures in the Skintrade’ which is very funny x

2. tartanpants

January 2, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Hi – me again! I was thinking about your turkey soup and thought this might help you in your battle with the bronchitis. It is not to everybody’s taste, but I love it and it always does the trick when I am feeling under the weather – http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/avgolemono_soup/
    – this is more or less how I make it but I would use more lemon xx

3. Our Growing Paynes

January 2, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Ginger tea and hot toddies help! I hope you feel better soon.

4. tartanpants

January 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Doesn’t Richard Burton have the most hypnotic voice? I could listen to him for hours. Will check your link later, I can’t allow myself to do it right now as I know it will lull me into a state of relaxed bliss – and I have deadlines to meet today!! Hope the turkey soup does the trick! x

5. Kathleen Richardson

January 2, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Turkey broth and truffles (with alcohol!) — perfect remedy for bronchitis, or most anything else.

6. Hil

January 2, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I always remember you loving Under Milk Wood. You got some super work from it all those years ago at Plover. Xx

January 2, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I still have some of it! I taught it at Hayfield too and some of those pupils loved it too!
      Happy New Year to you all 🙂

7. Shelagh

January 2, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I have a garden full of turkeys this very minute. No broth tho.