Daffodils, Coastal Path and A Birthday

15 Mar

Our government tells us that in a few days, because of the Coronavirus, they will tell the over 70s that in a few weeks they should self isolate to protect themselves. With a warning like that, we and many of our friends are already self isolating. However, we are very lucky because we live outside the town and can walk out of our front door to be straight into the countryside . We can also drive to the coast and walk along in the beauty of our Cornwall where there are other walkers but no-one close by which was what we did this afternoon along a short stretch of the South West Coastal path.

Daffodils along the roadside

The view from the path towards Chapel Porth and Porthtowan

Looking out to rocks from the cliffs at St Agnes Beacon – Does anyone local know the name?

On Radio 4 this morning, we were being advised that laughter is the best medicine and that, just as we should be eating 5 a day fruit and veg, we should be finding 5 things a day to make us feel good. I might have to upgrade MBT to 5 a day when I can.

It is Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s birthday. We first learned of her when she was a much admired Law Professor at Columbia University School of Law in New York, USA. My brother was in her classes.   Happy Birthday!

“Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you.” Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Associate Justice of the US Supreme Court (b. 15 Mar 1933)

Tags: , , ,

17 responses to “Daffodils, Coastal Path and A Birthday

1. commonprose

March 20, 2020 at 6:28 pm

Eager to visit Cornwall again, to see the sea, the coast, cliffs, hedges, flowers, and two of my favorite people. Hope our June trip will happen. Love to you both.

March 20, 2020 at 7:23 pm

We so hope it can happen too. Love to you both xx

2. anotherday2paradise

March 18, 2020 at 3:09 pm

How wonderful that you have such beautiful and interesting places to go walking. Here in Florida everywhere is so flat. We still do our 10 000 steps a day though. 😃

March 18, 2020 at 5:06 pm

It is beautiful but I find it hard to do 10.000 steps a day. If it were flat I could keep going forever! 🙂

3. germac4

March 15, 2020 at 10:23 pm

I enjoy your daily “snap shot” of life although I don’t get a chance to comment very often. We saw a documentary on Ruth Bader Ginsburg recently … a wonderful pragmatic advocate for social justice… your brother was very lucky to have her as teacher.
    We are also cancelling social activities here ( in Canberra Australia) we had a trip planned for the UK in April … unfortunately not happening now, but time to read and de-clutter!
    Best wishes for your lovely Cornish walks.

4. john zande

March 15, 2020 at 9:23 pm

Stay well, Sally.

March 15, 2020 at 10:13 pm

We aim to but it is worrying. What is it like in your neck of the woods? Many cases, any cases? 🙂

• john zande

March 16, 2020 at 12:08 am

We have a president who is worse than Trump. Hard to believe, but true, so you can guess the nonsense coming out of the government. Actually, to be fair, the govt. itself is doing well, it’s just the idiot sitting at the top of it all causing confusion. Corona’s here in SJC, but it’s competing with Dengue for attention. Ah Brazil! Strangely enough, SJC was the town all TB patients were sent last century, so I guess we’re oddly over-prepared.

5. Hils Bryant

March 15, 2020 at 9:05 pm

Think they are called Man and his man? But that may well be wrong!

March 15, 2020 at 10:12 pm

I think you are right as other commenters have written, also Cow and Calf which I like a lot. 🙂

March 15, 2020 at 9:02 pm

Fresh air is still good. So go and do nice walks in your wonderful area.

March 15, 2020 at 10:11 pm

Yes, fresh air is good and we will keep walking around this beautiful area. You take care too. 🙂

March 15, 2020 at 8:27 pm

Bawden Rocks, also known as Cow and Calf or Man and His Man, are a pair of small islands approximately one mile north of St Agnes Head.

My OH falls into the over 70s category – you are right, at least we can walk in the countryside and visit the beaches unless the UK impose a total lockdown. I wonder if we can still visit NT gardens?

March 15, 2020 at 10:11 pm

Thank you for all that info. Our map didn’t name them. I hope we aren’t excluded from NT gardens…. Hadn’t thought of that. Take care, you and your OH. 🙂

• Heyjude

March 15, 2020 at 10:41 pm

They seem to be open for now, I just hope the weather improves so we can visit one or two soon.

8. John Roberts

March 15, 2020 at 8:17 pm

The Rocks are called ‘Man and his Man’, Sally., or Bawden Rocks.

March 15, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Thank you. I knew someone would know. The rocks are not named on our map. 🙂