Six on Saturday – Here and There

09 Mar

It has been quite cool and windy this last week but Spring flowers still delight us in the garden. The Crocuses are all gone but the Muscari, the Tete a Tete, other Narcissi and the Chionodoxa Pink Giant are all looking lovely.

1.  The double wall garden is full of colour. I am very pleased that I oiked out all the thuggish wild strawberry plants a few weeks ago. The bulbs have flourished since.

In the double wall

2.  The Chionodoxa have opened and look really lovely. Thank you to SOS readers who helped me to identify these last week.

Chionodoxa Pink Giant

3.  We have been thinking that two little bushes that we bought last year, Potentilla Snowflake,to go on either side of the steps, had died but yesterday noticed a tiny leaf. I shall have to keep an eye on the weather as icy storms seem to be forecast  next week and I would hate the newly emerged leaves to be killed off.

Potentilla Snowflake is waking up

4.   It’s time to plant up the edible garden in the trough that is just underneath the kitchen window. I have some herbs there all year – two Thymes and the Borage keeps going and Chives for most of the year. I suddenly noticed how well the Garlic Chives are doing already.

Garlic chives

5.  The next two are not in our garden but in the gardens of Burncoose nurseries where we went for a short walk this afternoon – Magnolia . Click on the photos to get the full picture.

6.   We heard this bush/shrub/tree before we found it! It was alive with the buzzing of bees! Neither of us know what it is so here is a close up of the flowers and a longer shot of the bush/shrub/tree to show its size. Look carefully, there is another enormous Magnolia behind.

To see what other gardeners are talking about for their Six on Saturday, visit The Propagator  and read the comments from people all over the world. You could join in too!

I love patterns in numbers and words –  palindromes, the 9x table for instance.  I am easily pleased – today I have 2,222 followers, a pleasing number in several ways!

Tags: , ,

27 responses to “Six on Saturday – Here and There

1. Noelle

March 11, 2019 at 3:28 pm

The magnolia is stunning…my garden is too small for one…well considering all the other plants I want to grow. However, I do love seeing them in gardens when I go for walks.

March 19, 2019 at 8:30 am

Yes, too big for us too though we did try with Magnolia Stellata – two died on us! The others are too big for us too but we can visit lots! 🙂

2. Piglet in Portugal

March 10, 2019 at 10:20 pm

An interesting six this week, mbt 🙂
    The magnolia is stunning! are you tempted to grow one?

3. Helen Johnstone

March 10, 2019 at 7:45 am

I love your spring blooms, so much colour

4. Lisa

March 9, 2019 at 10:51 pm

It’s all so beautiful! Your lemon thyme (I looks like) is gorgeous. Mine gets rather rangy and sticky in winter. My chives are just starting to come up. Borage? Mine was huge, seeded, and I’ve been dealing with hundreds of seedlings all winter! Nothing kills them! They’re where it’s okay to be, so I leave them be.

March 10, 2019 at 9:35 am

My OH hates the Borage for its take-over behaviour but I like to have lots as I love the flowers in salads and to decorate cakes and desserts too. We now only have it in my Edible Garden so that it doesn’t take over elsewhere. 🙂

5. Bernice

March 9, 2019 at 10:24 pm

I love the double wall! All your spring flowers are beautiful. We are still getting snow and frigid temps. Tonight we spring forward with our clocks so there is hope we are close to spring!

March 10, 2019 at 11:18 am

My Mum had a double wall and we have done the same as heres was always so pretty. It curves round the lower patio and there is another short stretch up the steps. They bring my Mum into our garden. 🙂

• Bernice

March 10, 2019 at 9:14 pm

That sounds wonderful and a great tribute to your Mum! 🙂

March 11, 2019 at 8:37 am

Yes,my Mum who was a fabulous gardener has long been my inspiration. I wish I could replicate her skills. In one of her gardens, she planted a whole section with plants with the names of the family! I still have to work on that! 🙂

• Bernice

March 11, 2019 at 4:10 pm

How wonderful!! I am not a talented gardener. It is a gift. 🙂

March 9, 2019 at 8:47 pm

Ah, your Chionodoxa Pink Giant is a beauty. Mine aren’t very big and seem to flop a lot. No idea what the large shrub is – maybe ask one of the nursery staff next time you are there – but there is one in the George V garden which has puzzled me for several years so I’d love to know!

7. Jim Stephens

March 9, 2019 at 8:45 pm

I think your last entry is Pseudopanax laetus although given where it is it may be some even more obscure thing I’m not familiar with. A fabulous plant for really mild gardens. The Magnolia’s not so shabby either.

8. anotherday2paradise