A Plaque, Captain Upton’s Slip and A Special Mural

06 Apr

I noticed a commemorative plaque today that I haven’t seen before despite having used this short cut on many occasions.

Falmouth history

Captain Richard Upton, a former smuggler turned excise man who went on to become Mayor of Falmouth on two occasions, lived in the house at the top of Upton’s Slip which is in the picture below.

Upton’s Slip

There is a mural on the way out of one of the car parks which was renewed last year and looks brilliant.

Mural on the way out of the car park

The other wall

Please go to http://www.spectrumasd.org/epic-aims-church-street-mural/

to see both sides of the mural and to read about the project which celebrates Falmouth as a community and promotes awareness of autism in a positive way. You can read about each of the children involved. It is truly inspiring.

P.S. Added 7th April 2018.
In the comments below, you will see that I have been asked about the figurehead at the bottom of the slip. I found this short Youtube video about her, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc7cPW2LeuI

Tags: , , ,

7 responses to “A Plaque, Captain Upton’s Slip and A Special Mural

1. Mary Fletcher

April 7, 2018 at 7:52 am

Thanks, I never really looked at these murals, which oddly look South American to me. It’s not at all clear to the viewer what they are about because of using initials and I think a legible notice using the word autism could help. I did notice they had been redone but only as we drove out. So many artists in Falmouth but they chose one from London!

April 7, 2018 at 8:47 am

I had to look up ASD and I agree that they should have had a proper label explaining what I found online otherwise the general public just like the bright colours and walk on by. I agree too that using a local artist would have been pleasing. Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. 🙂

April 6, 2018 at 10:47 pm

Wonderful project for ASD awareness. Is that Upton’s torso in the alleyway?

April 7, 2018 at 8:50 am

Ha! It’s an old figurehead from a boat and I don’t know if there is any connection with Captain Upton. “A figurehead is a carved wooden decoration found at the prow of ships, generally of a design related to the name or role of a ship. They were predominant between the 16th and 20th centuries, and modern ships’ badges fulfill a similar role.” 🙂

April 7, 2018 at 8:56 am

Nancy @ nrhatch, I have added a video to the post that explains about the figurehead. 🙂

• nrhatch

April 7, 2018 at 1:09 pm

Thanks! She is Tall . . . like an Amazon!

3. makagutu