Bullfinch, Buds and Oak Tree

21 Mar

The Bullfinch came really close to the kitchen window today and seemed to be keeping an eye on us!

Bullfinch, photo taken through kitchen window

I’ve been out tidying up the garden this afternoon and was very happy to discover some buds on the Aquebia.

Aquebia buds

My walk took me down the lane again today. I love this Oak Tree and am watching it closely to see when the buds appear. I have in mind the old saying, “Oak before Ash, we are in for a splash. Ash before Oak, we are in for a soak,” so I am watching the Ash in next door’s garden too.

Oak tree over the lane

Tags:

16 responses to “Bullfinch, Buds and Oak Tree

1. Arkenaten

March 22, 2018 at 11:39 am

I meant to ask, where is this lane, Sally? It is beautiful.

March 22, 2018 at 12:13 pm

It is five minutes from our front door and one of my favourite short walks when I am alone. πŸ™‚

• Arkenaten

March 22, 2018 at 12:25 pm

I am okay when I walk the dogs or I go for a jog, but simply for one of us to go for a walk alone. Not so much.

March 22, 2018 at 1:02 pm

Mr S is working on the boat to get it ready to go back in the water soon so I am having long days alone which is not much fun. I go out every day and meet pals but it is an odd loneliness. It’s lovely when he comes home! πŸ™‚

• Arkenaten

March 22, 2018 at 1:03 pm

I can imagine! So, you are not the boating sort then , I take it?

March 22, 2018 at 1:57 pm

I tried! I went for training, got my RYA 1 and 2 qualifications, all done in Falmouth harbour. Then we went out for a sail and met the sea! Green best describes my reaction and I’ve only been to a couple of times since. No, not my thing! πŸ™‚

• Arkenaten

March 22, 2018 at 2:12 pm

I can understand completely!
            My brother used to sail, as did my dad when he lived in Newquay as a boy.
            I am a land lubber … or when in a boat a land blubber.

March 22, 2018 at 5:00 pm

That describes me exactly! πŸ™‚

• Arkenaten

March 22, 2018 at 5:02 pm

Ah .. then I’m sure we would get on like a Maison en FlambΓ©!

March 21, 2018 at 11:37 pm

What a pretty Cornish lane, love the shadows.

3. grandfathersky

March 21, 2018 at 11:19 pm

The wisdom of nature, the earth and sky know if the trees are thirsty!

4. Candia

March 21, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Our Bullfinch was about today- very roseate breast. Quite deep a pink.

5. pendantry

March 21, 2018 at 7:52 pm

β€œOak before Ash, we are in for a splash. Ash before Oak, we are in for a soak,”

Interesting, I’ve not heard that one before. I wonder whether there’s anything to it?