Mary Michell, A Conker and Good Thoughts

27 Sep

On 19th September, our American friends and we were treated to an historical tour of St Day. Part of our walk was to the old Church of St Day and even inside as our historian friend from the village had acquired the key! Inside the Church was a statue that I found very moving. I loved the delicacy of and the expression on her face, the care with which the folds of her dress and waves of her hair were recreated in stone and I looked at her for some time before reading the engraving beneath and discovering that she had died at only eighteen.

I loved this statue to commemorate Mary inside the old Church in St Day

Today Lesley has shared with me the research she has just completed into Mary’s short life. As she said, have your tissues ready. Click on the red link to read the story,  Monument to a lost bride

Remembering Mary

I had a lovely time singing with friends this afternoon. As I parked and began to walk down the lane, a conker fell on my head!

Conker

This came my way the other day and I liked it.

Tags: ,

7 responses to “Mary Michell, A Conker and Good Thoughts

1. valeriedavies

September 29, 2017 at 10:56 pm

I LoVE conkers… and also loved the statue and the story of Mary….

2. commonprose

September 29, 2017 at 12:37 am

Such a sad story. I’m glad to have the link to Leslie’s blog.

3. Arkenaten

September 28, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Ah! Conkers!
    And Roald Dahl.
    My wife once banned me from reading Matilda to the children at bedtime as I laughed so much they had trouble going to sleep!

September 28, 2017 at 2:40 am

Lovely statute and story. Glad that conker didn’t conk you out!

September 27, 2017 at 8:41 pm

What a lovely conker, I like them looking so fresh and brown!

September 27, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Me too. When I looked the floor was littered with them and I just wished the LiveWires were with me!🙂