Road Trip Day 8 – The Million Dollar Highway

02 Oct

Sunday 11th September 2018

Oh my, what a ride that was from Mesa Verde to Durango and on to Ouray over the Red Mountain Pass! Switch backs, mountain edges, trucks on narrow ledges, fabulous views for the non-driver and edge of the seat stuff for us both! We were both surprised and delighted to see the start of the glorious Fall colours, something we hadn’t anticipated.

Harleys with Mesa Verde behind

The road

Fall colour

Some of the switchbacks

We found our ride through the Red Mountain area particularly interesting as there was evidence of the mining that happened here in the late 1800s. Many Cornish miners, Cousin Jacks, left Cornwall to bring their hard rock mining skills to Colorado.

Info about The Red Mountain Mining District

Left behind house at the Red Mountain stop

Red Mountain

A truck taking one of the switchback turns

Edge of the seat riding

Black Bear Manor, our delightful B&B in Ouray

You might, or might not, like to look at this information about the Million Dollar Highway.
I’m glad I didn’t quite know what we were about to drive!

Tags: , , , ,

9 responses to “Road Trip Day 8 – The Million Dollar Highway

1. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin

October 4, 2018 at 11:34 am

My “friend” rides a Harley…

October 4, 2018 at 4:40 pm

I’d love a friend with a Harley! I might get my ride! 🙂

2. K. Joseph

October 3, 2018 at 12:26 pm

Will be heading in that general direction next week. Hope to see the fall colors. This drive looks a little scary!

October 3, 2018 at 2:34 pm

It was but it was also exhilarating! Enjoy your trip. The Fall colours were just turning and were very lovely. 🙂

October 3, 2018 at 11:21 am

My OH would have kittens if I took him on that road! And how on earth do those big trucks manage to get around the switchbacks? On the other side of the road it seems – I wouldn’t want to meet one coming towards me. And I definitely wouldn’t be driving them at night. Exciting though, and gorgeous scenery.

October 2, 2018 at 4:52 pm

Rather dangerous road. I would always drive that way round so I am on the inside of the road. 🙂 Great pictures!

5. Arkenaten

October 2, 2018 at 4:42 pm

Fall? Isn’t that an American version of Autumn? 😉

Not a road I would willingly drive,certainly not if it is all like your photo!
    If we had roads like this in South Africa – as per your edge of the seat pic – the mini bus taxi death toll would skyrocket.

6. Anne

October 2, 2018 at 4:30 pm

An amazing area!! Brill pics Sally 😃

7. litadoolan

October 2, 2018 at 4:19 pm

I love the magic of fall. Thank you for sharing.