Another Dawn, Thanks and A Hedgehog Home

29 Nov

The beautiful colour of the dawn could be seen from the front of the house, looking North, and from the back today –  just glorious.

Thank you to Year 3 pupils #Barnacre Road Primary School whose instructional video on ‘How to Make a  Hedgehog Home’ I have followed today and now there is a waterproof and dry leaf lined home for hedgehogs in our garden. We have seen evidence of hedgehogs in our garden and hope that they will now be able to make a safe winter home underneath the Rosemary.

Hedgehog home

Lined with dry leaves

Tags: , , ,

13 responses to “Another Dawn, Thanks and A Hedgehog Home

1. valeriedavies

December 3, 2017 at 6:13 am

I love hedgehogs, but sadly in our covenanted forest they are termed pests as they eat native birds eggs…most NZ native birds are flightless due to millennia of habitat uninhabited by man…

2. Arkenaten

November 30, 2017 at 11:27 am

Cats?

November 30, 2017 at 2:45 pm

I did think about that…….. I’ll let you know who moves in! 🙂

• Arkenaten

November 30, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Your marmalade recipe turned out smashing.
        Bit too much for us so I shall gladly give some away.

November 30, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Hooray! Was the recipe easy to follow? Do I need to explain anything further? 🙂

• Arkenaten

December 1, 2017 at 9:03 am

Yes! I forgot. You mentioned little circles of grease-proof paper?
            I vaguely remember my Gran using them, but didn’t notice them in your recipe (only in the description after) and I forgot to include them. They weren’t featured in the recipe I found online, either.
            Are they important or can they be skipped?

December 1, 2017 at 10:00 am

I use them because my Dad did! They are available from Lakeland in different sizes but I don’t really know how essential they are. 🙂

November 30, 2017 at 4:07 am

Hope you are able to attract hedgehogs to your hedge. 😀

4. calvin

November 30, 2017 at 3:18 am

I always, again this is the ‘silly’ in me talking, say hedgehog in the voice of Eeyore. It seems to match their demeanor. I remember reading once a list of unknown facts about Hedgehogs. The one I shall never forget is that ‘Hedgehogs have a rich inner life’, tongue in cheek am sure. Good luck with tempting one to take up residence in your yard for the winter.

November 30, 2017 at 2:50 pm

I’ll let you know how things progress…. I love the Eeyore voice! Bill has heard them snuffling and grumbling in the dark. I have yet to have the pleasure.

5. Susan

November 29, 2017 at 9:54 pm

I look forward to your posts so very much. They always make me feel better when I’m blue, and even when I’m fine!
    Do you have hedgehogs wandering wild where you live? I’ve only seen pictures and I think they’re adorable!

November 30, 2017 at 2:48 pm

That’s so lovely of you to say – thank you. Singing does the same for me. Whatever my mood, it is always better after singing!
      We do have hedgehogs in our garden. My husband has seen one and has heard them snuffling . I have seen only the poo evidence! Really hope we have done enough to encourage them to hibernate in the home we have made for them. 🙂