A Visit, Harvest Moon and Ted Hughes

29 Sep

What a sense of achievement today! I walked to visit  a friend, not far, maybe ten minutes and all downhill but I did it with no problem (still using my crutches of course) and had such a good time. Thank you for a fascinating morning, D.

A blogging friend kindly sent me a wonderful photo of the Harvest moon rising last night.  As for us, clouds obscured his view of the eclipse but who needs that when the Moon herself makes such a show the following evening!

Moon by Plum Creek

Moon by Plum Creek

I have long loved this poem by Ted Hughes – The Harvest Moon.

The Harvest Moon

The flame-red moon, the harvest moon,
Rolls along the hills, gently bouncing,
A vast balloon,
Till it takes off, and sinks upward
To lie on the bottom of the sky, like a gold doubloon.
The harvest moon has come,
Booming softly through heaven, like a bassoon.
And the earth replies all night, like a deep drum.So people can’t sleep,
So they go out where elms and oak trees keep
A kneeling vigil, in a religious hush.
The harvest moon has come!And all the moonlit cows and all the sheep
Stare up at her petrified, while she swells
Filling heaven, as if red hot, and sailing
Closer and closer like the end of the world.Till the gold fields of stiff wheat
Cry `We are ripe, reap us!’ and the rivers
Sweat from the melting hills.

For Calvin.

Tags: , ,

10 responses to “A Visit, Harvest Moon and Ted Hughes

1. makagutu

September 30, 2015 at 6:08 am

Beautiful image and good to know you are doing well

2. calvin

September 30, 2015 at 1:23 am

Tenacity be thy middle name. You’ll be climbing hills to trek through blue skies in no time. Glad your day was momentous and to share with friend, pure icing, I bet.

Thank you ever so much, the poem melds perfect with the image, dare I say good medicine for a Shaman’s Pouch. .

September 30, 2015 at 9:27 am

That’s my aim! Very glad you liked the poem. It came to mind as soon as I saw your beautiful photo. 🙂

3. Don

September 29, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Beautiful image.

September 30, 2015 at 4:18 am

Not mine but sent to me by Calvin. I agree, it is a very beautiful image. 🙂

4. greenbenchramblings

September 29, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Beautiful photo! What a great moon experience wasn’t it and good to be sharing it with people all over the world.

5. Charlie@Seattle Trekker

September 29, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Stunning photo; nice to see things are getting better…Happiness is such a precious gift..

6. anotherday2paradise

September 29, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Love the moon and the poem. Well done on walking to see your friend. 🙂

7. hadorable

September 29, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Thank you for sharing! What a beautiful poem!