Carl Sagan, Crinodendron and Oxygen, the Song

24 Jun

1   I’ve been learning about Carl Sagan by reading Alex’s amazing blog and then today was sent this quotation  by a friend: Carl Sagan talking about books and I just love it.

Books by Carl Sagan

Books by Carl Sagan

2   Our neighbours’ Crinodendron hookerianum is full of blossom. It is so beautiful. Our young one, which had  more than thirty flowers last year, has none this. We’re wondering what we have done wrong…….

Crinodendron hookerianum

Crinodendron hookerianum

3   At choir tonight, we have started to learn one of the beautiful songs from the play, Oxygen, which I’ve been raving about for the last few days. Our leader, Claire Ingleheart, wrote the music for the play and was the Musical Director.

P.S. Here’s a review of the play, Oxygen, in The Stage. The reviewer agrees with me!

Tags: , , , ,

17 responses to “Carl Sagan, Crinodendron and Oxygen, the Song

1. mixedupmeme

July 5, 2013 at 10:19 am

I was glad to learn more about the play Oxygen.
    And Carl Sagan is surely one of the great writers and communicators of our time.

Writing and Reading! I can’t imagine what it would be like without.

July 5, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I can’t either. One of the saddest things in my life is that my Dad, a reader and a writer and a looker-up of any and everything, went blind at the end of his life so that his last two and a half years were a trial indeed for him. I visited every night after teaching in a nearby school and used to read the crossword clues to him and look things up for him. He was able to point me to exactly where on his shelves of 3000 books, I would find the book needed for that particular piece of information.

2. Alex Autin

June 27, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I had never before read that quote by Sagan! And now, thanks to you, I’ve read it 3 times!

And also, thank you for the mention. It’s so very appreciated!

July 6, 2013 at 11:39 am

I thought you would like it if you didn’t already know it. Very happy to give you the mention that you so deserve! 🙂

3. on thehomefrontandbeyond

June 26, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I wrote my blog post today based on the Sagan quote and gave you kudos for it–June 26, 2013 — you may want to read it — I find you and Sagan both inspirations – thank you

4. on thehomefrontandbeyond

June 26, 2013 at 1:26 am

love the quote

5. theamateurcamera

June 25, 2013 at 7:56 pm

What a great quote and a fantastic review for ‘Oxygen’ too! 🙂

6. Teepee12

June 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I just sent you two awards. You don’t have to do anything about them unless you want to, but you deserve them so I’d like you to have them, even if only for the badges to put on your site.

Visit: http://teepee12.com/2013/06/25/wordpressfamily-and-sunshine-award/

7. G.S.

June 25, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Have you read Sagan’s novel ‘Contact’?

I’m a die hard devourer of Sci-Fi, everything from Heinlein to Le Guin, but ‘Contact’ is one of my favourites.

June 25, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I haven’t. I used to read a lot of sci-fi so will look for Contact on your recommendation. Thank you. That’s another for my ‘books to read’ list. Another I was recommended a day or two ago was Margaret Atwood’s trilogy, name forgotten!
      All the best to you (I did recognise your photo!)

• G.S.

June 25, 2013 at 8:31 pm

It was adapted to the screen at some point in the 90’s. Good movie. I recommend that too 😉

Hope you’re well!

July 6, 2013 at 11:41 am

Just bought it and added it to my bedside pile! Hope you are well too. 🙂

8. valeriedavies

June 25, 2013 at 7:42 am

Magic words from Carl Sagan… thank you

9. Don

June 24, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Such an outstanding quote – such an outstanding mind.

10. john zande

June 24, 2013 at 7:56 pm

A great mind!

11. unexpectedincommonhours

June 24, 2013 at 7:38 pm

What a great quote by Carl Sagan!