Manet Exhibition, Burlington Arcade and P J Crook

01 Mar

1. We loved the Manet exhibition at The Royal Academy, my favourites being the portraits of Berthe Morisot whose work I also admire. The building is very beautiful too.

2. We had never been in The Burlington Arcade before. It is carpeted! Walking through was so quiet after the buzz of London streets. There were uniformed attendants who were happy to have their photo taken and a shoe-shine stand. I loved the gloves and the fan in a shop display.

3 Through the arcade is Cork Street, a street lined with art galleries. In one we discovered the work of P J Crook which I just fell in love with. Her paintings overflow onto the frames and are just brilliant, full of imagination and wonder and all sorts of detail.

20130301-214021.jpg

20130301-214057.jpg

20130301-214119.jpg

20130301-214138.jpg

20130301-214157.jpg

20130301-214211.jpg

20130301-214239.jpg

20130301-214303.jpg

Posting from my iPad is a challenge! I’ll put captions to my photos when we return home.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “Manet Exhibition, Burlington Arcade and P J Crook

1. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin

March 26, 2013 at 2:22 am

you are showing me things I’ve never seen…I find that quite awesome!

2. El Guapo

March 3, 2013 at 5:34 am

Love that arcade!

3. WordsFallFromMyEyes

March 3, 2013 at 2:38 am

Truly great quality photos – especially down that corridor of shops.

Those men in that gear!!…

4. ajaytao2010

March 2, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Beautiful Pictures

5. Hudson Howl

March 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Posh is that Arcade. I think they would have toss’d me out by the scruff of my neck. My eyes enjoyed this post to the maximus. I have seen JP Cook’s shtufffs previously, though to me I see them more as illustrations than paintings, which is a good thing -probably why they have life beyond the rectangle.

I seen many of Manet’s paintings in show in New York City in the early eighties. I never looked at colour in quite the same way since.

March 10, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Don’t know how I missed this – probably because we were away and so busy with the Grandbabies. Paintings do stay with you don’t they, the ones that somehow touch your soul anyway….

I loved the Manets and used a legacy to but myself a tiny JP Cook painting!!!

All the best to you 🙂

6. valeriedavies

March 2, 2013 at 6:36 am

Sounds like a wonderful exhibition.. I went to the opening back in 1963 !!! and saw among others, Augustus John’s beautiful gypsy wife…
    Gorgeous pics of London… I love the Burlington Arcade… we bought my wedding ring there – also in 1963!!!!
    As you can see your blog is pressing all my nostalgia buttons….