Diaspora Gardens, Mural and Good People

15 Aug

Daughter No 3 visited today for just a few hours so we went out for lunch at the Red River Cafe and then took a stroll around the Diaspora Gardens at Heartlands.  From their website:  “In the 19th Century, thousands of pioneering Cornish people emigrated across the world taking with them their culture, mining skills and technologies.
Through exquisite planting and fascinating interpretation, the Diaspora (meaning ‘dispersion’) Gardens within Heartlands tell the poignant story of the Cornish people and their influence on the lands to which they travelled. The gardens feature plants from Cornwall that rooted happily in foreign lands, as well as exotics brought back to Cornwall that took to the rich local soil, ”  including Agapanthus and Crocosmia.

One of the stones

Agapanthus, from the Heartlands web site

Beautiful Eucalyptus bark

Mural in the gardens

This piece came my way today so I thought I would share it with you all.

Lots of lovely people in the world

Tags:

7 responses to “Diaspora Gardens, Mural and Good People

1. babyjill7...Marilyn Griffin

August 23, 2018 at 12:35 pm

The written piece reminds me of my friends… as we enjoy each other’s company…will share if OK…

August 16, 2018 at 10:47 am

I’ve been away and just catch up with your posts. Love that last one about the wonderful people put there. Indeed there are!

3. germac4

August 16, 2018 at 4:47 am

I was brought up in Central Africa and our next door neighbours were a lovely couple from Cornwell. My Dad and Uncle Wens (as he was known to everyone) worked on the copper mines in Zambia. Mrs Thomas introduced us to Cornish pasties, and I don’t ever remember a time when she wasn’t baking…how we loved them both!

August 15, 2018 at 11:21 pm

Lovely poem. Especially the laugh so loud they snort. Reminds me of a friend and I weeping with laughter and our mouths hurting so much at a Dave Allan sketch.

5. saymber

August 15, 2018 at 10:10 pm

Lovely post – made me smile. Thank you for that!

6. Anne

August 15, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Those are beautiful words, Sally. xx