Scarf, Fireworks and Siegfried Sassoon

11 Nov

It has been a very grey day today and I have finished my scarf!

Scarf finished

There are fireworks going off tonight, a little odd for Armistice day I feel, but fun to watch if not to listen to. I took the photo through our bedroom window.

British Legion fireworks – this photo is for V in honour of her Mum and mine.

I was a teenager when my Uncle Norman, my Dad’s older brother, gave me a volume of Siegfried Sassoon’s poems.

My present from Uncle Norman

I found them very moving, clear to understand and perhaps they helped form my pacifist outlook. One of my favourites was

Everyone Sang

Everyone suddenly burst out singing;
And I was filled with such delight
As prisoned birds must find in freedom,
Winging wildly across the white
Orchards and dark-green fields; on – on – and out of sight.
Everyone’s voice was suddenly lifted;
And beauty came like the setting sun:
My heart was shaken with tears; and horror
Drifted away … O, but Everyone
Was a bird; and the song was wordless; the singing will never be done.

Tags: ,

12 responses to “Scarf, Fireworks and Siegfried Sassoon

1. rebeccaMpells

November 12, 2017 at 12:09 pm

A very precious book . . .

2. calvin

November 12, 2017 at 12:36 am

Regarding poetry. I doubt very much dictators and those that maintain oppressive regimes read poetry. Yet poets will launch truth bombs of words in their direction.

Scarf -tactile. A kind of plush hug around the neck. Grey skys; ba hum bug.

I think the poem trumps the fireworks.

November 12, 2017 at 12:09 am

Gray days are great days for knitting! Congrats on finishing your new scarf . . . still hoping you discover the old one “hiding” somewhere.

November 12, 2017 at 8:21 am

Ive hunted everywhere, emptied the cupboard under the stairs where coats and such things lurk, gone through every pocket but no joy. I have not given up hope! 🙂

4. Mama Cormier

November 11, 2017 at 11:08 pm

That scarf looks very cozy.

5. sarthe

November 11, 2017 at 9:39 pm

I’ve never read that particular Sassoon poem, and it’s lovely.

6. Arkenaten

November 11, 2017 at 9:33 pm

What a beautiful scarf.
    Not a fan of fireworks any more. Not good for the pets, I’m afraid. And while we don’t celebrate 5th November there is always a heck of racket over New Year and Chinese new year and Dewali.

November 12, 2017 at 8:25 am

I’m not a fan of them much any more either, they are so incredibly noisy and must cause distress for many. My Mum was born on Bonfire Night and as a little girl, used to like the idea that everyone was celebrating her birthday. 🙂

7. commonprose

November 11, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Your scarf is lovely. I’m so sad you lost the original. Fortunate for you that you discovered poetry early in your life.