Six on Saturday – A Moon Garden

01 Jun

I love white flowers. I once had a book called “Plant a Moon Garden’ which was full of white flowers to capture the moonlight. I am still working towards our Moon Garden and our white flowers are all over the garden rather than together. The next full moon is 17th June so I hope all will be aglow in our garden that evening. Here are some of our white moon-catchers.

1    Clematis Montana Alba in our shady corner with the fountain playing. This won’t still be in flower for the full moon.

Clematis Montana in our shady corner

2.  Lychnis Petit Henri. Beautiful delicate flowers on this little plant. We have two that we bought last year but they are taking their time to establish.

Lychnis Petit Henri

3.  White Cosmos.  Cosmos, pink and white, grow in profusion by the roadside in South Africa as we saw last Spring – what a delight that was – and I love having them in our garden.

White Cosmos

4.   White Cornflower  – to join the blue ones (not quite open yet)  in the blue and white border with the white Lupins and a very pale Foxglove in the back.

White Cornflower, White Lupins behind

5.   I can’t remember the name of this one, something Titanic I think………

Forgotten the name of this very tall and striking flower

6.  Mexican Fleabane Erigeron karvinskianus  We didn’t plant this but love it in our three  wall gardens. It thrives in walls all over our town, reappearing year after year and clothing winter-bare walls in no time.

Mexican Fleabane Erigeron karvinskianus

The Propagator hosts Six on Saturday. Pop over and see his blog and follow the links in the comments to other gardeners all over the world who bring their Six to the party.

17 Comments

Posted by on June 1, 2019 in Cornwall, Photography

Tags: , , ,

17 responses to “Six on Saturday – A Moon Garden

1. The Eclectic Contrarian

June 28, 2019 at 10:47 pm

Awesome idea!

July 7, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Thank you. Sadly, there was so much cloud when the moon was full that the Moon Garden didn’t get lit up this month. I shall live in hope. 🙂

• The Eclectic Contrarian

July 7, 2019 at 6:56 pm

I’m excited for you! If at all possible, try to get pictures!

2. cavershamjj

June 5, 2019 at 6:21 am

Hoping for a similar effect with the fleabane, I have grown some from seed this year. I dont tend to grow white flowers but I am enjoying some white foxgloves in the shady border. They really stand out.

3. Piglet in Portugal

June 2, 2019 at 9:35 pm

You are certainly embracing the spirit of the moon garden.

I love the stone decoration at the base of the clematis

June 4, 2019 at 10:39 am

I am hoping we have a clear night for the full moon later in the month. Do you mean the little, partly hidden, cherub or the stones at the bottom of the fountain? You have very sharp eyes if it’s the cherub! 🙂

4. March Picker

June 2, 2019 at 8:57 pm

I’m drawn to white flowers, and yours are really lovely! A Moon Garden sounds perfect.

June 2, 2019 at 9:14 pm

I love white flowers too, both in the sun and in moonlight. They light up the whole garden. 🙂

5. Oldhouseintheshires (@Oldhouseinthes1)

June 2, 2019 at 6:11 pm

Lovely. I visited the white garden at Sissinghurst this week and it was really quite something!

June 2, 2019 at 3:09 pm

Such beautiful flowers around you!

7. Lora Hughes

June 2, 2019 at 7:14 am

Nothing so crisp looking as a white cosmos. That lychnis is fantastic – never seen its like before. And that fountain is simply great. Wonderful six. Let us know how the full moon goes. Should be great.

June 2, 2019 at 7:43 am

I love the delicacy of the Lychnis and they go on for ever. We hope they will expand too.
      I will let you know how the full moon works out! 🙂

June 2, 2019 at 3:01 am

Nice! Hope it’s smashing under the Full Moon.

June 1, 2019 at 10:34 pm

Such a lovely selection of white flowers.