Mother’s Day UK, Sylvia Plath and A Blackbird

11 Mar

It’s Mother’s Day here in the UK and as well as yesterday’s flowers and having No 1 Daughter here for breakfast, a special treat, there were cards and  phone calls. I am a very lucky Mum.

I wanted to give you a poem today, for all  Mums, with us or not and whom we honour with our gratitude and our love. This poem by Sylvia Plath is a reminder of the early days of Motherhood and I love its opening line –
” Love set you going like a fat gold watch”, the sense of “moth breath” which so catches the delicacy of a new-born’s breathing and the way the baby’s voice has “clear vowels” which “rise like balloons,”  reminiscent for me of all four of ours.

Here is Morning Song by Sylvia Plath.

Love set you going like a fat gold watch.
The midwife slapped your footsoles, and your bald cry
Took its place among the elements.
Our voices echo, magnifying your arrival. New statue.
In a drafty museum, your nakedness
Shadows our safety. We stand round blankly as walls.
I’m no more your mother
Than the cloud that distills a mirror to reflect its own slow
Effacement at the wind’s hand.
All night your moth-breath
Flickers among the flat pink roses. I wake to listen:
A far sea moves in my ear.
One cry, and I stumble from bed, cow-heavy and floral
In my Victorian nightgown.
Your mouth opens clean as a cat’s. The window square
Whitens and swallows its dull stars. And now you try
Your handful of notes;
The clear vowels rise like balloons.

The Blackbirds have now eaten all the seedy pastry I put out for them. I need to make some more.

Blackbird in the feeding house

Here is my link to Soulful Sunday . Thank you Mindful Gardener for the meme.

Tags: ,

6 responses to “Mother’s Day UK, Sylvia Plath and A Blackbird

1. Mama Cormier

March 13, 2018 at 8:27 pm

Happy Mother’s Day. I have to wait till May.

March 13, 2018 at 8:28 pm

Thank you. I’ll wish you a happy day in May then – and all the days in between and afterwards! 🙂

2. Patty B

March 12, 2018 at 12:08 pm

Happy Mother’s Day. ❤️

3. Ali

March 12, 2018 at 9:51 am

This is very strange and wonderful. We had a poetry hour yesterday after lunch, and this is the poem I chose as my favourite poem ever! We studied it for A level English and I have loved it ever since.

March 12, 2018 at 9:59 am

What delightful synchronicity! I love it too and am so pleased that it touched you and your memories. 🙂

4. Seyi Sandra

March 11, 2018 at 8:25 pm

Awesome post! I love the poem. It invoked vivid images of years gone by. I love being a mum, and still enjoy my mother’s love. Life couldn’t be better! Happy Mother’s day!😀❤️