Planting, Heritage Carrots and An Owl

16 May

We have been planting again – some tiny carrot seedlings in the veg trough.

Tiny carrot plants

This is what our carrots should look like in due course.

Colourful carrots

My other purchase when away was an owl to add to my collection. The Wise Owl was our family symbol as our family name was Wiseman and between us, we have many. I love its quirky expression and its laughter lines!

Carved wooden Owl bought in KwaZulu Natal

Tags: ,

11 responses to “Planting, Heritage Carrots and An Owl

1. commonprose

May 17, 2018 at 4:23 pm

We used to grow nice carrots in my father’s garden in Virginia.It’s so difficult to grow anything here in arid Arizona, so we don’t even try growing veggies. But we can buy carrots that look just like those in your package at our local market.

May 17, 2018 at 5:32 pm

We are just giving them a try! I’ll let you know how they go on. We can buy them at our Farmers’ Market too but I like the challenge! 🙂

May 17, 2018 at 6:20 am

Do let us know how the carrots come out. I am sure they will be super….. 🙂

3. Arkenaten

May 16, 2018 at 8:04 pm

LIkewise, never had any luck to date with carrots.I’m hoping my luck turns this year.

May 16, 2018 at 9:18 pm

Exactly the same with us. We have never had a good carrot crop and gave up on them some years ago but I really like the idea of the multi coloured ones so I am trying again. I’ll let you know how they do……. 🙂

May 16, 2018 at 7:20 pm

I’ve never had any luck growing carrots ~ they grew in misshapen dwarfish twisted shapes. Good luck with yours!

May 16, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Oh that’s funny! I have just replied to Saymber saying we haven’t had much success in the past but the colours on the label attracted me so I am trying again. 🙂

• nrhatch

May 16, 2018 at 9:56 pm

That makes sense ~ we can easily buy orange carrots, but all those lovely colors aren’t readily available. Even if you pick them early, they’ll make a nice garnish.

5. saymber

May 16, 2018 at 6:32 pm

The carrots should be yummy and love the owl!

May 16, 2018 at 9:15 pm

We hope so. We haven’t tried carrots for years as we weren’t successful before but I was tempted by the label! We shall see! 🙂