Bonfire Night

05 Nov

My Mum was born on Bonfire Night one hundred and five years ago and, as a child, thought that everyone was celebrating her birthday with enormous fires and fireworks lighting up the sky.  Memories of my Mum came to the fore a couple of weeks ago when a poet friend sent along this poem which touched me deeply and I was given permission to use it today in honour of my much missed Mum.

Tags:

10 responses to “Bonfire Night

1. Our Growing Paynes

November 7, 2019 at 8:44 pm

A beautiful tribute.

2. Patti Van Tuyl

November 7, 2019 at 3:49 pm

I, too, am very touched by this. Thinking of her both older, as I knew her, and young, delighting in the celebration of her birthday. I wonder if she feared anything as she faced mortality.

November 7, 2019 at 9:09 pm

Mum asked, as she was dying, for us to send her out the way she came in, with fireworks, and so we did – two enormous rockets and we laughed and we cried as we waved her goodbye. xx

3. Arkenaten

November 6, 2019 at 12:36 pm

Who knows, maybe some of them were celebrating your mum’s birthday!
    🙂

4. niasunset

November 6, 2019 at 11:15 am

as a child your mom’s birthday, this was amazing. I am very touched too dear Sally, Thank you, Love, nia

5. Kim Ridgeon

November 6, 2019 at 8:47 am

I am very touched by this. I also love that image of your mum as a child on her birthday. Thank you. Love x

November 12, 2019 at 4:39 pm

Thank you for allowing me to use your beautiful poem in memory of my Dear Mum. 🙂